|March 1847||Imperial School starts lectures in front of Hinomikado, Kyoto Imperial Palace.|
|April 1849||The school is named “Gakushuin” upon being granted the “Gakushuin” plaque from the emperor.|
|April 1868||Kyoto Gakushuin is renamed "Daigakuryō-dai."|
|January 1876||Discussions to set up the Peers’ School begin.|
|February 1877||The Peers’ School sets down its school code.|
|October 1877||Opening ceremony is held. The emperor and empress attend the ceremony and grant their rescripts. The new “Gakushuin” plaque is granted from the emperor (in Kanda Nishiki-chō).|
|April 1884||The school becomes a state school under the jurisdiction of the Imperial Household Ministry.|
|September 1885||The Peeresses’ School is established (in Owari-chō, Yotsuya-ku).|
|August 1888||Gakushuin is relocated to the former site of the Imperial College of Engineering in Sannen-chō, Kōjimachi-ku (Toranomon).|
|July 1889||The Peeresses’ School is relocated to Nagata-chō, Kōjimachi-ku.|
|June 1889||“Hōjin-kai Journal” is first published.|
|September 1890||Gakushuin is relocated to Owari-chō, Yotsuya-ku.|
|October 1893||Supplementary Course is renamed “University Course” (abolished in 1895).|
|April 1894||Kindergarten is established at the Peeresses' School (suspended in 1944)|
|November 1895||Tokiwakai alumni association is established for the Peeresses' School.|
|April 1906||The Peeresses’ School merges with Gakushuin and is renamed Gakushuin Girls’ Division.|
|August 1908||Gakushuin Boys’ School relocates to Takada Village, Kita-Toshima County (Mejiro), while the location of the Primary School and Girls’ Division remains unchanged.|
|April 1910||Students and alumni first publish the “Shirakaba” magazine.|
|July 1912||Numazu swimming pool opens.|
|August 1918||Girls’ Division is relocated to Aoyama.|
|September 1918||Girls’ Division becomes Gakushuin Girls’ School.|
|September 1919||Gakushuin’s Primary School Course, Middle School Course and High School Course are renamed Primary School, Middle School and High School.|
|January1921||Gakushuin’s alumni association Oyukai is established.|
|October 1928||Gakushuin holds its 50th anniversary commemorative ceremony.|
|November 1935||Gakushuin Girls’ School holds its 50th anniversary commemorative ceremony.|
|April 1945||Mejiro Campus is burned down in air raids.|
|May 1945||Gakushuin Girls’ School in Aoyama and the Primary School in Yotsuya are burned down in air raids.|
|December 1945||Gakushuin and Gakushuin Girls’ School revise their school systems to open their doors to children of the general public.|
|April 1946||Gakushuin Girls’ School moves to Toyama-chō, Ushigome-ku, and starts to give classes.|
|May 1946||Gakushuin Middle School (1st and 2nd grades) moves to Koganei-chō and starts to give classes.|
|March 1947||The government rules on Gakushuin and Gakushuin Girls’ School are abolished.|
|April 1947||Gakushuin Foundation takes over management of the school. Gakushuin and Gakushuin Girls’ School form a single private school.
Boys’ and Girls’ Junior High Schools open under new administration. Primary School begins coeducation.
|April 1948||Boys’ and Girls’ Senior High Schools open under new administration.|
|May 1948||Women’s Liberal Arts School is established (abolished in 1952).|
|April 1949||Gakushuin University is established under new administration (a Faculty of Letters and Politics comprising Letters, Philosophy and Politics Departments; and a Faculty of Science comprising Physics and Chemistry Departments). Middle School is relocated to Toyama-chō.|
|March 1950||High School under old administration is abolished.|
|April 1950||Gakushuin Women's Junior College Division is established in Toyama (Department of Letters).|
|March 1951||Gakushuin School Corporation is established.|
|April 1951||Women's Junior College Division sets up the Department of Household Management.|
|May 1951||“Gakushuin School Song” is adopted.|
|April 1952||The university’s Department of Letters and Politics is abolished to create the Faculty of Politics and Economics (with departments of Politics and Economics) and the Faculty of Letters (with departments of Philosophy and Letters).|
|May 1952||Gakushuin establishes Research Institute for Oriental Cultures.|
|April 1953||Graduate School of Humanities and Graduate School of Science are established (Graduate School of Humanities: Graduate Course in Philosophy and Graduate Course in Japanese Literature; Graduate School of Science: Graduate Course in Physics and Graduate Course in Chemistry).
Department of Letters at Women's Junior College Division is renamed Humanities Department.
|June 1953||Women's Junior College Division is renamed Gakushuin Women's Junior College.|
|April 1957||The University’s Faculty of Letters reorganizes its Department of Letters into departments of Japanese Literature, English Literature, German Literature and French Literature. Graduate School of Humanities (a master’s degree division) Graduate Course in English Literature, Graduate Course in German Literature, and Graduate Course in French Literature are also included.|
|August 1957||Boys’ Junior High School is relocated to Mejiro.|
|April 1961||The University’s Faculty of Letters adds Department of History.
Graduate School of Science introduces its doctoral programmes (Graduate Course in Physics and Graduate Course in Chemistry).
Graduate School of Science amends its master’s degree programmes (Graduate Course in Physics and Graduate Course in Chemistry).
|April 1963||Gakushuin Kindergarten is opened.
The University’s Faculty of Science adds Department of Mathematics.
|October 1963||Gakushuin holds its 85th anniversary commemorative ceremony.|
|April 1964||The University reorganizes the Faculty of Politics and Economics, creating the Faculty of Law (Department of Law and Department of Political Studies) and Faculty of Economics (Department of Economics).|
|April 1965||The University introduces its master’s degree Graduate Course in History to Graduate School of Humanities. Doctoral courses are also introduced in the Graduate School of Humanities (Graduate Courses in Philosophy, History, Japanese Literature, English Literature, German Literature and French Literature).|
|April 1967||Graduate School of Science introduces its master’s degree Graduate Course in Mathematics.|
|April 1969||Graduate School of Science introduces its doctoral Graduate Course in Mathematics.
Humanities Department of Women's Junior College is abolished and the Department of Humanities is created.
|April 1972||Graduate School of Law introduces its master’s degree Graduate Course in Law.|
|April 1974||Faculty of Economics sets up the Department of Management.|
|June 1974||The University sets up the Computer Centre.|
|February 1975||University Museum of History is set up.|
|April 1975||The University introduces the Department of Psychology to the Faculty of Letters. Faculty of Letters renames the Department of English Literature the Department of English and American Literature.|
|April 1978||Graduate School of Management introduces its master’s degree Graduate Course in Management.|
|October 1978||Gakushuin holds its 100th anniversary commemorative ceremony.|
|April 1979||Graduate School of Politics introduces its master’s degree Graduate Course in Politics.
Graduate School of Economics introduces its master’s degree Graduate Course in Economics.
|April 1980||Graduate School of Humanities introduces its master’s degree Graduate Course in Psychology|
|April 1981||Graduate School of Politics introduces its doctoral course.|
|April 1982||Graduate Schools of Politics, Humanities and Science change the names of their master’s and doctoral courses to first-half doctoral programmes (master’s programme) and second-half doctoral programmes (doctoral programme).
Graduate School of Humanities introduces its second-half doctoral programmes for its Graduate Course in Psychology.
|April 1986||Graduate Schools of Law and Management introduce their second-half doctoral programmes. Their master’s courses are reorganized as first-half doctoral programmes.|
|April 1990||Graduate Schools of Economics introduces its second-half doctoral programmes. Its master’s course is reorganized as first-half doctoral programmes.|
|April 1991||The University’s Faculty of Letters renames its Department of Japanese Literature the Department of Japanese Language and Literature.
Graduate School of Humanities renames its Graduate Course in Japanese Literature the Graduate Course in Japanese Language and Literature.
|April 1998||Women’s Junior College is reorganized into the Women’s College (Faculty of Intercultural Studies: Department of Japanese Studies and Department of Intercultural Communication).|
|April 1999||Gakushuin sets up the Lifelong Learning Centre.|
|May 1999||Gakushuin University holds the university’s 50th anniversary commemorative ceremony.|
|December 2002||Gakushuin hold its 125th anniversary commemorative ceremony.|
|April 2004||The University sets up its Professional Course in Law at the Professional School of Law (Law School) as a professional graduate school.
Women’s College establishes its master’s degree Graduate School of International Cultural Relations.
|April 2006||Women’s College sets up the Department of English Communication in the Faculty of Intercultural Studies.|
|April 2007||The University renames its Departments of German and French Literature the Department of German Studies and Department of French Cultural Studies.|
|April 2008||Graduate School of Humanities (first-half and second-half doctoral programmes) introduces its Graduate Courses in Art History, Archival Science and Cultural Studies on Corporeal and Visual Representation.
Graduate School of Science (first-half and second-half doctoral programmes) introduces its Graduate Course in Life Science.
The University renames its Department of English and American Literature the Department of English Language and Cultures.
|April 2009||Graduate School of Humanities introduces its first-half doctoral programmes of Graduate Course in Clinical Psychology.
The University introduces its Department of Life Science to the Faculty of Science. Graduate School of Humanities renames its Graduate Course in English Literature the Graduate Course in English Language and Literature.
|April 2010||Graduate School of Humanities renames its Graduate Course in German Literature the Graduate Course in German Language and Literature.|
|March 2011||Girls’ Junior and Senior High School hold their 125th anniversary commemorative ceremony.|
|April 2013||Faculty of Letters sets up its Department of Education.|