Gakushuin University started as a university under the new system in 1949. Back in those days, there were only the Department of Literature and the Department of Philosophy in the Department of Government. However, after a series of changes and expansions, we currently have the following 7 departments.
- Department of Philosophyy95 studentsz
- Students learn philosophies underlying each and every arts and sciences. Philosophy/History of Thought-related and Aesthetic/Art History-related subjects are interlinked reciprocally.
- Department of Historyy85 studentsz
- Students acquire an outlook on history based on wider visions and an independent interest toward issues while also nurturing a behavior of proactive researching through highly detailed instructions.
- Department of Japanese Language and Literaturey110 studentsz
- Students study the Japanese culture from every angle that evolves from a long history encompassing an extensive period from ancient times to modern days. Many are also trained to become experts on Japanese language education.
- Department of English Language and Culturesy115 studentsz
- Reorganized as the gDepartment of English Language and Culturesh in 2008 (formerly called, gDepartment of English and American Literatureh) and promotes the type of literature/linguistic researches that go way beyond the simple scope of language studies. English is positioned as one of the means to encounter the new world of western culture. Students learn extensively from the three fields of English literature, American literature, and English language studies.
- Department of German Studiesy50 studentsz
- Reorganized as the gDepartment of German Studiesh in 2007 (formerly called, gDepartment of German Language and Literatureh). Three course of language/information, literature/culture, and modern regional conditions are offered along with a special program to train interpreters and translators.
- Department of French Cultural Studiesy80 studentsz
- Reorganized as the gDepartment dfetude des civilisations de langue francaiseh in 2007 (formerly called, gDepartment of French Language and Literatureh). The 4-course system including language, translation, stage/films, broad-area culture, and literature/thought allows students to learn extensively about various cultural events.
- Department of Psychologyy90 studentsz
- The universityfs own curriculum allowing students to systematically learn all about Psychology from its basics all the way to the latest knowledge nurtures competent Psychology experts who can respond to the growing needs of society.
- Department of Educationy50 studentsz
- Department of Education educates the hopeful elementary school teachers, who are able to teach children of future generation in corresponsive to drastic social change.
After enrollment, students may make full use of the library facilities and laboratories of the respective departments. The collection of books, etc. is extremely large and extensive. In the various facilities including the departmental laboratories are information processing equipments such as computers.